Sunday, August 28, 2005

KARMA, IRONY AND COINCIDENCE

I think I believe in Karma . There are too many terms for it to not believe: poetic justice, just desserts, you reap what you sow, and what goes around comes around. All of these are true to me. What I can't figure out is it Karma? Or simply Irony? Possibly coincidence?

I have an ex-boyfriend who treated me quite badly. In all fairness to him I allowed him to do it. I have no excuses other than I was young, it was my first serious relationship...blah, blah blah. Anyhoo, his MO was date me for awhile and then dump me for someone...his words here...more passionate. In other words crazy. Not just a little crazy but hanging from the rafters, lock her up in the attic crazy. Then when "Passion" got to be too tedious he'd come back to me. Sometimes while he was still dating the loon we'd become "friends" and hang out. Well he's gone, moved to another state now, but we still communicate via email and are truly just friends now. He got a new girlfriend that he pulled his same crap on...dumped her and then wanted her back. Only this one (god bless her) said no that she had moved on, but "gosh they can be friends". Now is this karma that just finally reared it's sensible head or is it simply ironic that he got the same treatment finally? Coincidence? I don't believe that.

My biggest pet peeve in life is lateness and unreliablity. Hate it! I am surrounded by late and unreliable people. I have been for twenty years. Not just sort of late people but hours and hours late. All my best friends, my family, employees, everyone. Am I paying back a cosmic debt? Was I a greek goddess (shut up) who made her subjects wait intermittably? Or is it simply ironic that I am constantly subjected to the behavior I detest? This is definitely NOT coincidence!

Lastly, I have a friend and former co-worker who is completely intolerant of fat people. She is a bone. She makes fun of them and thinks that they are the laziest humans on the planet. I'm convinced she would rather hang out with a serial killer than a fat person. She also has several grandchildren...all fat. Not just a little fat either but positively roly poly. Once again does she owe the universe something or is it merely ironic? Again could it be coincidental?

I like the concept of having to work things out until you are done with them. The religion I was raised in doesn't really have a place you go when you die, no heaven or hell. You simply move on and continue to work out all your earthly issues before you ascend to that place of perfection, whatever it may be for you. If it all is just ironic or coincidental there isn't really any reason for it and I like reasons. I like things to have purpose. It makes all our earthly pains seem worth it.

No comments: