Wednesday, July 30, 2008


Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Okay so I will admit it, when it comes to movies I am horribly behind the times. I do like movies but I don't like theaters. I find the seats uncomfortable and wiggle constantly ticking off those around me. I don't like that I can't pause the movie and go pee. Lastly I can't stand the "community" aspect of the movies. So sometimes I don't see things for years. I just saw "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" last night and loved it!
It's the story of a transgendered East German rock band lounge singer. It wasn't really all that clear to me if I should think of her/him as a gay male, a transsexual or a cross dresser but I thought the performance of the star John Cameron Mitchell was so good.
It is partially based on based on Aristophanes' speech in Plato's Symposium, explains that human beings were once round, two-headed, four-armed, and four-legged beings. Angry gods split these early humans in two, leaving the separated people with a lifelong yearning for their other half. Hedwig believe that another character Johnny Gnosis is her other half and in the movie she is riven to either reunite him or destroy him.
I won't go on about the plot and I'm not even quite sure what happened but I do know that the movie somehow touched me. So tell me if you know... Did Hedwig die?

2 comments:

Contact Travis said...

it has been a long time since I've seen this movie...but I agree it was very moving. I dont remember the exact ending, but I don't think Hedwig died.

The music is spectacular as well...the song you refer to "Origin of Love' is such an awesome song too...soulful, cool, eclectic, and just touching.

Anonymous said...

I read a couple things last night after we watched it and there are a couple intrepretations of the ending. I can't decide what I think and now it has been a long time since anyone has seen the damn thing :)