Thursday, October 09, 2008



The Election


To my blogging friends,


I guess the reason I defended the position that her picture is unretouched is because I'm becoming conscious of the enemy is always wrong mindset. You see I've always had a problem with that concept. Mostly when it came to religion...why is "our"religion the right one? Or even war...doesn't the other side think they are as "right" as we do? Isn't their cause as important to them as it is to us? In times like this I become hyper aware of this and try not to dismiss the other parties concerns because I don't like them. Maybe they have a point. It isn't completely out of the realm of possiblity is it? I do think Newsweek made Obama look slightly Christ-like with the glowy head thing. Personaly I think Palin's picture is fine but I do think that if the standard is to retouch extreme close-ups (especially of women, let's face it there is a different standard...we aren't allowed to have pores or hair. ) and they didn't then maybe they do have a liberal bent.
Not that there is anything wrong with that... I have a liberal bent. And for the record I do not like her or McCain, will not be voting for them but I think they sometimes they may be right.

6 comments:

Contact Travis said...

I totally agree... its never a good idea to demonize for the sake of it.

Before I read your post I was actually in the shower thinking about how well I think McCain did the other night in the debate regarding foreign policy.

It made me really wonder what is actually going on inside his campaign. I actually have a lot of respect for the man's career as a senator. I truly believe he has been a maverick. I truly believe he's done a lot of good...voting against his own party, reaching out for compromise so much more than most others in that body have.

However we live in an extremely polarized country right now..and it is largely because of these kinds of campaigns. I look at John McCain as I thought I knew him and I see the campaign he's now running and I think...what happened?

I think there are a lot of very good republicans out there (Washington State Sec. of State Sam Reed comes instantly to mind, former Sen. Slade Gorten as well)

Do these honorable men (and women) ever wonder what became of their party?

Thank you for posting this.

In regards to my post on the Newsweek cover, my point was more about Fox News and the 'creation' of a controversy where I honestly don't see one exists...its one more reason campaigns like this one are making the country even more polariazed and not less.

Anonymous said...

It's unfortunate that more don't run. I wonder sometimes if the scrutiny has become so intense that good people with maybe a skeleton or two just don't want to deal with it. I know I couldn't. I consider myself a good person but there are things I just wouldn't want made public.

As for McCain I think his time has come and gone, probably back in 2000. I do admire some of his policies and beliefs as well as his service to the country. However, his age and general wellness concern me (doesn't he look generally bad?) Plus this decision to pick her as a runing mate is just bizarre.

My conspiracy theory is that he is a ringer put in to lose. That the Republicans need a Democratic President to take the fall for the poo storm Bush created. When it looked like he was doing well the upped the "stupid" ante and put her in. Now his numbers are still good and they are being told to behave even worse.

Anne Coulter agrees with me...scary scary

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I'm up at 2am watching the Nikkei.

It's down almost a thousand.

What does that have to do with this discussion? Well, it's really what we should be talking about in this country as the global economy caves. Instead, our pundits are discussing pores and facial hair.

Fake controversy.

Neo said...

this is what is called "seeing both sides of the coin"
opinions...
who's right?
of course, we all are, just depends on where you are standing, in a metaphoric sense

Kristin said...

I also think its fake controversy. Even though I wholeheartedly disagree with her politics, I think Sarah Palin is an attractive woman and that magazine cover does not make her ugly at all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Neo thanks for commenting! To all I think it's a goofy thing too. She looks fine. Better than I would look that close I think. I just want to be conscious of what I'm disagreeing with:)