Friday, October 31, 2008

Well the Alpha Rich Bitch fired me...sort of. She always pays me on the last day of the month and my check wasn't there today. So I called to ask where it was and she freaked out, accused me of all sorts of things. Now I believe that I should be able to ask a client where my check is without fear of firing. I do a job...I get paid. So she fired me for like the fourth time. Then rehired me for two days a week. After an intial freak out on my part and Mark's assurances that I needn't worry.... So nice to have someone to help!

I've decided this is a good thing. I wanted to volunteer at Echo Glen. This is what they do

Echo Glen is a coeducational juvenile correctional program for adolescents between the ages of 11-20. Echo Glen serves the youngest male offenders and females with special needs. The Canine Connections Program continues to be a strong therapeutic component at Echo Glen. We pair residents at Echo Glen Children's Center (at risk youth) with unwanted dogs. We give them an opportunity to experience responsibility, patience and conflict resolution skills, promoting emotional development. We provide skill building, educational, and vocational opportunities in kennel operations, grooming, vet tech. and training. Our residents continue to compare the dogs to their life--unwanted, negelected, abused and locked-up but involved in training and treatment. We consistently observe the youth transferring the cognitive behavioral skills taught to them by their counselors to their work with their dog. The student handlers are the dogs counselors. They write treatment reports and plans. It is our belief that this process only enhances the youths commitment to change. Participants learn to utilize behavioral therapy methods of positive reinforcement in shaping their dogs behavior. Canine Connections is a part of the Snohomish County 4-H dog program and is a part of the Issaquah School district. Students maintain 4-H journals and participate in the county dog program requirments. Prior to adoption, handler and dogs complete the AKC Canine Good Citizen and basic Obedience Test. Dogs are typically maintained in the program for 60-80 days. After this intense interaction with the student trainer, the dogs are "parolled" to permanent adoptive homes. The student/trainer conducts the exit interview with the new adoptive family, explaining the dogs background, training methods and offers advice in caring for the dog. The student trainer experiences a sense of accomplishment in a job well done. This interview helps in the "letting go" process for the handler. Research has shown that the bond between an animal and a human can have significant lifelong benefits for both. This program is a Win-Win for both students and dogs. The Canine Connections Program is committed to fostering this bond and achieving lifelong benefits for the juvenile offenders and dogs in their care. Canine Connections is a non profit agency relying on grants and private donations.

I couldn't do this before because she took all my time and I felt weird about that. I wanted to do something good with my time and I was babysitting rich dogs. So right after she fired me I emailed the program and now maybe I can.

3 comments:

Contact Travis said...

good for you! enjoy this...this woman is insane.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

How do you attract these crazy people?

I include myself in that group.

Anonymous said...

I don't know but a book is forming itself in my head ;)

I think I have a tendency to take in strays and strays are strays for a reason.